I think everyone around me knows I’m a sucker for any recipe that is easy, cheap, filling and also seriously yum! This recipe seamlessly slips into all four of those categories. I made it for dinner last night and it took me all of about 10 minutes to prepare and 35 minutes in the oven and – BANG – dinner is done. It’s less than $6 a serving and packed full of protein.
All prices from Coles Australia and in AUD
- Chicken Breasts (4 pack): $9.50
- Pesto: $4.20
- Tomato: $0.80
- Parmesan: $6.70
- Cous Cous: $1.75
- Brown Onion: $0.50
Even if you begin this recipe with NONE of these ingredients in your current pantry or fridge, the recipe will only put you back $5.80 a serving (and you’ll have heaps of parmesan and cous cous left over for next time!).
Method (for one):
- Preheat your oven to 180C
- Trim any remaining fat off of the chicken breast (skinless breast usually has very minimal)
- Put your chicken breast into a size-appropriate oven-safe dish.
- Using a butter knife or the back of a spoon, spread the pesto over the whole top of the chicken breast.
- Slice tomato into 2 to 2.5 slices (enough to lay over the pesto) and place them on top.
- Grind or sprinkle some salt and pepper on top
- Grate parmesan cheese on top, try to avoid getting it on the baking dish. A couple of tablespoons will do but do this to your own taste.
- Put in oven for 30-35 minutes or until chicken is completely white inside.
- While its in the oven dice up half the small brown onion while boiling a kettle
- Fry/sweat onion on a low heat in a small pot.
- Pour in 1/2 a cup of cous cous, 1/2 cup of water and then cover, for two minutes.
- Fluff up cous cous with a fork.
SERVE YOUR CHICKEN ON TOP OF THE COUS COUS AND ENJOY!
P.S – To make this Gluten-Free just swap out the cous cous for quinoa and follow the prep directions OR just buy gluten-free cous cous!