Cous cous, pumpkin and sweet potato salad with spinach, walnuts, chorizo and parmesan.
Have you ever set out to make one thing… and ended up creating something else all together?! I set out to replicate a recipe my friend made me for dinner recently, but soon realised I had only remembered to buy half of the ingredients (and had some random extras in the veggie-drawer that needed using). With some educated flavour choices and a bit of ‘Masterchef Mystery Box’ magic, I created something pretty damn delicious!
So I’m not exactly a ‘salad’ enthusiast. Never really loved the raw vegetable thing. Roasted veggies on the other hand are just phenomenal. I love the sweetness that roasting brings out in veggies and the colours that roast vegetables add to a dish really pop! This salad is hearty yet healthy, colourful and flavoursome. It really fills you up and pumps you full of good vitamins and minerals… Oh, and it has chorizo in it, need I say more?
- 1 cup Cous Cous
- 1 cup Vegetable stock
- 2 small Sweet potatoes
- 1 half Butternut Squash
- 350 grams Spinach
- 3-4 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1-2 Garlic cloves
- 1/2 to 3/4 of a Chorizo
- Salt and Pepper
- 12 Walnuts
- 50g Parmesan
NB: All ingredients can be adjusted to taste just remember when cooking cous cous the ratio is 1:1
- Preheat Oven 160 C
- The first step is roasting the vegetables, cut and peel the sweet potato and butternut squash into approximately 3cm pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper and spray with canola cooking spray until lightly coated.
- Cook until just tender (mine took about 30 minutes)
- Meantime cook the cous cous. Heat the stock until boiling and pour over cous cous and cover and let sit.
- Cut the chorizo into circular slices and cut these in half and fry them in a pan
- When the Chorizo begins releasing oils chuck in some chopped walnuts and let them lightly toast and all coat in the oil.
- Put into a bowl and set aside.
- Put the finely shopped glove of garlic into the leftover chorizo oil and fry for 30 seconds, pour the garlic and the oil into a small bowl to create dressing
- Pour the olive oil in with the chorizo oil and the garlic (this is your dressing you may add more oil if you like)
- Cool everything for about 15-20 minutes the fridge (the chorizo, cous cous, roast veggies.
- Shave some parmesan using a peeler.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large salad bowl with the spinach and toss with the dressing
- Sprinkle more parmesan over the top and serve.
If you want to make it VEGETARIAN or VEGAN – omit the chorizo and parmesan, swap in some chickpeas for protein and add some roasted carrots for extra substance.
If you want to make it GLUTEN FREE – swap the cous cous for Quinoa or Freekeh
I could not be more in LOVE this salad. I will be making it in bulk for my Mum’s 50th party in two weeks so i’ll get some more pictures!